Friday, September 21, 2018

By the Way Review - Science, History, and Geography from a Biblical worlview

Geography, history, and science are all subjects that my children do together as a group.  From time to time we like to veer off from our curriculum and learn about something else.  That's one of the many things I love about homeschool!   So recently we put our study of the Romans on hold so that we could check out By the Way. We were given the opportunity to read and review New York City - By the Way, one of the books in the By the Way Book Series.  My youngest son has wanted to take a vacation to New York since as long as I can remember so, I knew I would enjoy reading this to him and the other kids.  However, this is not just a book you can read, this is a book you get involved in!  Many discussions and activities sparked from this book.






What we Received

We received a physical, hardback book, New York City - By the Way. 


About the Series


This series was started based on a statement by Dr. Jeff Myers of Summit Ministries.

"19 out of 20 Christian parents and grandparents do not talk to their children about God and spiritual truths in their daily lives."  

Ouch, I can't imagine not talking about the Lord with my children.

There are 10 books in the  By the Way Book Series.


  1. Indiana
  2. Alaska
  3. New York City
  4. Ireland 
  5. Colorado
  6. Washington State
  7. Ohio
  8. Pennsylvania
  9. Smoky Mountains
  10. Treasure Coast



About the Book

New York City is an 8X10 inch hardback book.  It is about 48 colorful pages full of facts and information from a Biblical worldview.  This book covers Science, History, and Geography.  It is geared toward families with children ages 5-12

This is a fictional story about Alex, Lexi, and their youth group's trip to NewYork City, with nonfictional facts about the city.  Each child picked 5 zip codes in the town that they wanted to visit and the group covered it in 3 days.  Throughout the trip, we learn about events that happened in the city,  famous monuments, the many zip codes within the city (175 of them), God's amazing creations, and how smart pigeons were, people in history, and so much more.



Activities

We include some fun activities to go along with the book.

A picture that one of my children drew

Doing more research on the Coyote.





It is imperative for parents to talk about God with their children.  We already do this on a daily basis, but we went over the scriptures that were in the book and copied them from our Bible and talked about how they applied to New York City.  We also took some time to pray for the city.



There's a fun scavenger hunt at the beginning of the book, this made for a fun activity as well.  My children turned it into a competition of who could find the picture first.





Our Final Thoughts

I love the way this book promoted many discussions between our family and the creative activities that my children were able to pull from it. 

My 15-year-old daughter said, "This book is filled with, adventure, excitement, and many informative facts.  I loved how it incorporated scripture throughout the book in different aspects.  I enjoyed the facts about each different zip code and learning new about the different diversities."

My 12-year-old son said, "This was a cool book, and I like the storyline.  I liked how they used fake people to share real events it makes it interesting.  I enjoyed discussing the different animals and learning about Fanny Crosby.  I love how they made to point to discuss how God loves all of us no matter our race."

My 11-year-old daughter, said, " I like the story and how it talked about real things with fake people. I love how they made it into a story and not just list a bunch of facts. My favorite is the "Did you Know Box" on a scale of 1 to 10 I rate it a 7."

My 9-year-old son said, " I liked the scavenger hunt it was fun.  I love the Bible verses.  After reading this book, I want to go to New York even more."







Other families on the Crew read different books in the By the Way Book Series, click the banner below to see what they read and how their family used it.



By the Way Book Series: New York City, Ireland, Indiana & Alaska {By the Way Reviews}


Follow By the Way on social media.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bythewaybooks/

Thank you so much for stopping by!


Crew Disclaimer

No comments:

Post a Comment