Friday, June 29, 2018

The Master and His Apprentices: Art History from a Christian Perspective - Review

To feed my daughter's love for Art I thought it would be fitting if she learned the history of art.  There are so many different Art curricula out there, but very seldom do I see any that actually teach the history of art.  I had never heard of The Master and His Apprentices until we had the opportunity to review The Master and His Apprentices: Art History from a Christian Perspective.  My daughter has been working through this art curriculum and has found it to be very intriguing.





WHAT DID WE RECEIVE

We received a digital copy of The Master and His Apprentices: Art History from a Christian Perspective Student Book (380 pages) and Teacher Book (116 pages).

ABOUT THE MASTER AND HIS APPRENTICES

The Master and His Apprentices was written by a homeschool graduate who has been teaching art, English, history, and the Bible for over a decade.  Art appreciation can be taught at any age.  This art curriculum has NO nudity so it can be enjoyed by the entire family.  It can be used as a stand-alone curriculum providing your student with a full high school elective credit upon completion, or a supplement to other studies.  The Master and His Apprentices start off with Creation and God as the Master artist.  It then dives into these different time periods, Ancient Culture, Middles Ages, Renaissance, and more.  It can be purchased as a digital download or a hardback textbook.  



The Master and His Apprentices

HOW DID WE USE IT

The Teacher Guide

The teacher guide includes the following and more.
  • Instructions for teachers in a classroom
  • Instructions for parents using it at home
  • Record Keeping
  • Syllabus
  • Weekly discussion questions and exams (arranged by week)
  • Answer Key
Before we got started I read the instructions for the parent using the material in the home.  The sample syllabus made it easy for me to plan out our week.  I printed the discussion questions at the beginning of each week and the exams as needed.  

The Student Book

The student book is divided into 19 chapters it also includes...
  • Essays
  • Period Chart
  • Complete Timeline
  • Pieces by Location
  • and more


My daughter worked on a chapter each week and if it was a longer chapter we would extend it over 2 weeks.  You can really plan it out to fit you and your child needs.   After she finished reading the complete chapter she answered the discussions questions.  Instead of just grading her answers we went over them together this gave me the opportunity to see her perspective and answer anything she was unsure about.  Each chapter includes a timeline of that period helping you to see how everything pans out historically.  I printed of each chapter and my daughter stored it in a 3-ringed binder. 

Along with the discussion questions at the end of each chapter, there are 4 exams for the year and 4 papers that your child will need to write.

Final Thoughts

My daughter's thoughts

I asked my daughter what she thought of this art history curriculum and she said, "I am thoroughly enjoying this art curriculum.  I like how they refer back to the bible in each lesson and how they acknowledge God as the creator of art.  I love the way the discussion questions require me to think.  The way they curriculum covers different time periods is amazing and the colorful pictures from each era are even more amazing!  The reading has been very interesting, however, some chapters are really long, but they keep me engage none the less.  I would recommend this to others people rather young or old because it gives a good background about art. 


One of the things I have had my daughter do is read the scripture that is referenced throughout the text and compare it to her Bible.  I normally have my kids do this when the scripture is being used outside of the Bible, so that we be sure the Scripture is being used in the correct context.  


This book can be enjoyed by adults that love art and are wanting to learn more about its history, homeschool students who have an interest in learning about art history, private schools, homeschool co-op, or just for fun.  Check out how other moms are using The Master and His Apprentices.


The Master and His Apprentices: Art History from a Christian Perspective {The Master and His Apprentices Reviews}

You can find them on social media here...

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Master-and-His-Apprentices-245504999349223/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/themasterandhisapprentices/boards/


As always thank you so much for stopping by.  I hope you have a fabulous day.

Crew Disclaimer

No comments:

Post a Comment