Thursday, July 12, 2018

Math Refresher for Adults - Review

Hey yall!  I hope you are having a great week!  Let's chat about math a bit.  You know the subject people either love or hate.  Yes, that one.  If you are like me, and I am sure many other homeschool moms, you cringe at the thought of teaching math to your older kids.  Math is actually my favorite subject and I remember still being nervous as my kids got older knowing the math would become more complicated.  I've even heard parents say that they have hired a tutor, put their children in co-ops, or even sent them back to public school so that they didn't have to teach math.  Some of them never even attempted to do it they were just intimidated by the thought.  Math can be very intimidating especially when you haven't used it in a while.  I'm not talking about the everyday general math like budgeting bills, determining your children's allowance, baking in the kitchen, or grocery shopping I am talking the Geometry, percentage, Algebra, etc.   Well, you will be happy to know that I have found an awesome resource that I have been working through over the last month or so, that will give you the confidence you need teach your child math.  Math Refresher for Adults by Math Essentials has been a blessing and I am thrilled to have had the opportunity to review it.





What we Received

I received one Math Refresher for Adults paperback workbook.  This workbooks is 270 pages and covers everything from basic addition to Algebra.  It also comes with access to video tutorials on their website.



Math Refresher for Adults



 Math Refresher for Adults

This workbook covers general math skills such as basic addition problems to more complex math skills such as Algebra and Geometry.  The lessons are short, sweet, and to the point.  Each lesson starts with a few questions, then a couple sample questions, after that you have your ten questions for the lesson followed by a word problem.  The solutions are at the back of the book so that you can check your work upon completion.

Fractions


How I used the Workbook

I started out working through a lesson a day either while my children were reading or before they woke for the day.  I quickly became bored because I remembered the basic math skills well.  So I reviewed the table of contents and started working through lessons I felt I needed a refresher in or that I had completely forgotten.  I used the solutions at the back of the book to check each lesson before moving to the next lesson.  I sometimes even did two lessons a day.  

Working through some Algebra

My Final Thoughts

In my opinion, this workbook is a great resource for the math-fearing homeschool mom who wants to refresh her math skills so that she can teach her children with confidence.  There's not that much space to work out your problems on the actual page, as you can see in some of the pictures above.  Due the to copyright it is illegal to photocopy the pages (you are reminded of this on each page) so I used the book as a textbook rather than a workbook.  I wrote the problems down in a spiral notebook and logged my answers there. I think it is good for your brain when you rewrite the problem anyway, so it wasn't a big deal.  I also appreciate the glossary in the back, that helps for that math terminology that you may have forgotten.  Although I'm giving you my perspective as a homeschool mom this workbook will be beneficial for a person 

  • Who has a math phobia
  • Who wants to be able to help their kids with their homework
  • Who is applying for a job that requires a math competency test
  • Who is preparing for the SAT/PSAT
the list can go on forever.  So overall no matter what a person may need to do with math this workbook can help improve those skills.  


You can learn more about Math Essentials by visiting their facebook page below.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/math.essentials/



You can also read what other moms think about Math Refresher for Adults and how they used the workbook by clicking the banner below.

Math Refresher for Adults {Math Essentials}

As always thank you for stopping by and remember don't be shy say hello.


Crew Disclaimer

No comments:

Post a Comment